7 Tips for Successful Telemarketing
Telemarketing is selling, telephone-based collecting of data, spreading information on services or products and appointment making. Recognized as a successful marketing tool telemarketing is used worldwide to generate sales, subscriptions, and make B2B contacts.
The rules of telemarketing have changed with the many scam callers in today’s market. You can however still be successful if you follow a few rules
Telemarketing is expensive as compared to most marketing but experience proves that telemarketing gets five times the response of direct mail as an example. Telemarketing is an effective business generation tool provided:
1. The objectives are clearly defined. Determine whether you want to promote a product, gather information from people, take orders over the phone, or communicate information. Get your sales and marketing team to agree and set the goals clearly.
2. Set targets for the number of calls and decision-making conversations or the number of successes to be achieved in each session.
3. Get in order a list that is relevant and current.
4. Decide on the pitch and make it as friendly and attractive as possible. Don’t ask how are you today!
5. Always undertake a test run so that you can fine-tune your pitch.
6. Work on perfecting a script. This will act as a guideline for each call. The first two seconds or so must capture the attention of the target audience.
7. Work on the telemarketing exercise in a focused manner. Even if you are outsourcing the exercise make sure that the people making the calls understand your business and focus clearly. Both you and the telemarketing team will have to think alike for the exercise to be a success.
Telemarketing skills is all about managing time well and generating an interest in the sales pitch. Telemarketers must be friendly, convincing, positive and caring. The smile and joy must reflect in the voice and the speaking tone must be practiced and well modulated.
Planning a telemarketing role
A well planned telemarketing exercise will help your business generate a database, building business contacts and leads, create an awareness of your business activities, and promote your products.
Tie-up with a telemarketing agency or handle the exercise yourself if you have the infrastructure. Since it is a long term relationship find a telemarketer you can strike a rapport with. Read as much as you can about telemarketing and learn about legal issues, best practices, and TPS registered telephone users.
Telemarketing is a successful business tool and will lead to good returns if planned well and implemented methodically. Among all the marketing exercises telemarketing has a proven success rate.
Where to find more on Telemarketing?
The Web and Google search has articles and in depth guides on telemarketing as well as online telemarketing professionals who will take care of all telemarketing needs. Also:
Cold calling tips
Never cold call again
this article is reproduced with permission